วันจันทร์ที่ 27 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2555

John Boos RA03 Reversible Cutting I like this board but....


Top of the Line Cutting Board, I treated myself to this gorgeous cutting board and was not disappointed. At 1 and 1/2 inches thick -- it's VERY hefty. I would not want anything thicker or heavier. It's also fully reversible. Solid, beautiful maple. Save a little money by purchasing some food grade mineral oil at your local CVS, to keep it sealed. I keep four felt circles under it to keep it slightly off the counter. It's the best cutting board on the market and will last generations if properly taken care of.
You just gotta love American maple cutting boards, I definitely love my Boos board. It's hard to go wrong with this model's simple style and convenient size. However, Boos makes such a variety of boards, I wish I had room for a few different ones. You can work both sides of this version as it is without feet. The handles on each side make for easy moving and storage. Make sure to treat it regularly with oil or cream designed for the board.
John Boos 24 X 18 X -1/2 Reversible Cutting Board, The board split within six weeks after receipt. Boos did not bother to reply to two separate contacts. This is supposedly a "professional/top quality" cutting board. I bought it assuming my husband could use it for years.
"Chop On Board", This a gift, I have two in my kitchen for several years, they are the best. They stay together, no cracks, just oil them down regularly. The Best....
John Boos 24 by 18 Maple Cutting Board is a Disappointment!!, I am very disappointed with this board. It is my third John Boos cutting board and in no way does it measure up to the previous two.
The cutting surface is consistently rough. My husband has smoothed it with fine grain sandpaper twice and I have oiled the surface several times with John Boos' Boos Block Board Cream to no avail. What is really annoying to me is that I have contacted the company on their customer service website and have not received the courtesy of a reply.
Warped after one year of use!, I bought the "20X15" board that is 1.5 inches thick, and it's now warped. Some of the planks of wood that are glued together have come apart, so there are like 2mm gaps in the board at some parts where food can get inside. And the board doesn't lie flat anymore - it rocks over to one side when you put weight on the edge. This is after just one year of use.

It's pretty much totally unusable on one side because of the rocking, and not very nice to use when you flip it over either because it's got a slight hump in the middle and still doesn't quite lie flat.

The board wasn't abused or anything, either. For the first couple months I had it, I oiled it regularly. After that I wasn't so regular with the oiling, but I've had lots of wooden cutting boards (bamboo, mostly) over the years, which were half as thick as this one, and those never warped. And I never oiled those at all! I'm guessing the warping is from moisture damage - but I've treated this board just like all my previous wooden ones and those never got moisture damage.
A bit pricey but worth the money!, This cutting board is heavy and a good size to use in food prep and / or rolling out pie dough. It was a bit pricey and was purchased as a gift. When it arrived, I decided it was worth the amount spent on it. It will provide years of use and is a kitchen design statement as well.
Quality not as expected, John Boos boards are generally well regarded, but the 20 by 15 board is lacking. The edge grain blocks are only 7/8" wide, as opposed to 1 3/4" width on the 24 by 18 boards. The narrower blocks means more glue is used (which is bad for knives) and it has more areas where splits can occur.

Even after similar care as my John Boos 24 by 18 boards and my BoardSMITH board, the 20 by 15 started to split. I'm ordering a BoardSMITH board as its replacement.
boos chopping block, Really love the size and quality of this, but was not happy with the packaging it was in, there was no filler in the box and the box was very large. Two corners of the chopping block had broken off. They were small flaws and I decided that I could live with them and didn't send back. I think Amazon should put packing fill in items like this in future. This is first item that I have received damaged.
I like this board but...., I bought the 20x15 2.5in block from another website. I really like the board but, I do have one issue with it. For the amount of money you spend on the board I would expect it to be a finished board, ready for use. Right out of packaging it was a bit rough. I wiped it down with a damp sponge in preparation for seasoning and it became VERY rough to the point it needed sanding with fine grit paper. Personally, this isnt how I would want a product of mine to be sent to a customer. When paying this amount for a cutting board, it really should be useable from day 1 which is why I rated it 4 stars instead of 5.

All that being said, I do like the block and as with any board, it needs to be well seasoned before use. The initial seasoning is a bit time consuming however, the process only needs to be done once. I make my own Wood Butter but you can also purchase one of the several on the market for this task. I prefer to make my own because its more cost effective for the amount of product and I can control the ingredients.

Its really very easy to make your own Wood Butter. Using a double boiler, melt 4oz (1/4lb) beeswax. Once fully melted, slowly stir in 16oz melted coconut oil (you can use food grade mineral oil or walnut oil as well). Let mixture cool slightly then transfer to a warmed canning jar. I prefer coconut oil because its all natural, not petroleum based like mineral oil. It has a long shelf life (2 years) and will not go rancid, its naturally antibacterial and of course, the smell is just amazing. This also makes a wonderful gift for the holidays, housewarming or wedding when accompanied with a favorite wood spoon or other utensil.

Properly seasoning a board - Rub the butter into the board going with the grain. Allow it to sit 4-6 hours then buff out with a soft cloth.

  • Kitchen prep is made easier with this solid, reversible maple wood cutting board
  • For care the board requires simple handwashing and oiling regularly
  • Handgrips on the ends offer easy transport from countertop to stovetop
  • FDA-approved; features a hard maple edge grain construction with a cream finish, 2 flat sides, and slightly rounded edges
  • Offers ample surface space, measuring 24 inches long by 18 inches wide by 2-1/4 inches thick

  • Kitchen prep is made easier with this solid, reversible maple wood cutting board.For care the board requires simple handwashing and oiling regularly.Handgrips on the ends offer easy transport from countertop to stovetop.FDA-approved; features a hard maple edge grain construction with a cream finish, 2 flat sides, and slightly rounded edges.Offers ample surface space, measuring 24 inches long by 18 inches wide by 2-1/4 inches thick. Keep the cutting board clean by simply washing it with hot soapy water after each use and dry it with a clean paper towel or let it air dry. The board was shipped from the factory with a penetrating natural oil finish, which allows for great cutting, chopping, and slicing, but it's important to give the cutting board a good oiling on all surfaces every three to four weeks. When the cutting board becomes dry and lighter in color, it's time to re-oil, which is an easy way to lengthen the life of the board by many years.

    More appealing and attractive than plastic, a wooden cutting board is a great alternative to plastic cutting boards as it can inhibit bacteria growth, while plastic boards harbor bacteria in the grooves cut into their surface. (Although Boos cutting boards do not harbor bacteria, it is a good habit to use separate cutting boards for different types of food prep.) Wood cutting boards are also easier on knives, where plastic boards can dull knives quickly. Boos cutting boards are manufactured by John Boos & Co. in Effingham, Illinois, which has been manufacturing high-quality wood cutting boards, butcher blocks, and countertops since 1887.

    From the Manufacturer Every professional or at-home chef knows the importance of a good cutting board. John Boos has developed a full line of professional-quality FDA-approved cutting boards in a variety of styles to accommodate individual needs and preferences. Choose from end-grain or edge-grain construction and from over 39 shapes and sizes.

    John Boos & Company circa 1900. View larger.Add a handsome yet highly functional tool to your kitchen arsenal with this wooden cutting board from John Boos. Made of solid hard rock maple with edge-grain construction for durability, the reversible cutting board provides two flat sides and slightly rounded edges for comfortable handling.


    Related Products
    • John Boos Mystery Oil Butcher Block Oil Awesome! First let me say that this product arrived to my home faster then I expected especially since it was right before Christmas. The product itself is great. I had just purchased a new very expensive wooden cutting board and I wanted ...Read the full
    • John Boos 5 Ounce Block Board Cream with Beeswax A MOISTURIZER FOR YOUR BUTCHER BLOCK! Do you use moisturizers on your skin? Are all moisturizers created equal? Personally I think not. Therein lies the difference between mineral oil and Boos Block Cream. Yes mineral oil by itself will ...Read the full
    • John Boos 20-by-15-Inch Reversible Maple Cutting Board Great Heavy Duty Utility Wood Cutting Board for all your Chopping Needs   style=width300px> name=R3274GIP3YRJP.2115.Helpful.Reviews style=fontsize1px> style=floatleft> style=paddingleft15px> ...Read the full
    • John Boos 24 by 18 by 1-1/2-Inch Reversible Maple Cutting Board Great Heavy Duty Utility Wood Cutting Board for all your Chopping Needs   style=width300px> name=R3274GIP3YRJP.2115.Helpful.Reviews style=fontsize1px> style=floatleft> style=paddingleft15px> ...Read the full
    • John Boos Mystery Oil 16-Ounce Bottles, 3-Case The Why of Wood Oils The only thing wrong with this is the suggestion that wood oils are a mystery. Wood and bamboo oils are simply food grade mineral oils. You should use a wood oil in your kitchen instead of vegetable oil because mineral oil does not break down ...Read the full

    1 ความคิดเห็น: